Author Topic: Time for a new barrel  (Read 2392 times)

Pholsted

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Shooters101.com
Time for a new barrel
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:22:32 pm »
I have an FN SPR  that I just have not been happy with. From the first day I got it about 5 years ago it has not shot like I think it should. I have tried just about every load I can think of for it and even had a friend that is very good with rifles do a bedding on it and in the end I think I have just about shot the barrel out trying to find a good load to make it shoot.

While I did find a few loads that did shoot OK they were all low power loads and are only good to about 700 yards. I would like to shoot out to 1K even though I only have access to a 1K+ range on limited  basis I would still like to have the gun and load able to shoot that distance.

So all this leads me to my question.

What barrel would you recommend as a replacement and what gun smith would you recommend to do the work?

Thanks
Patrick Holsted The Pledge of Allegiance to the United States of America! By my 2 year Old

For all good things must come to an end! I just hope my son never sees the end of LIBERTY!

GOD BLESS AMERICA. I still have HOPE!

Travelor

• View Profile
Re: Time for a new barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:34:25 am »
Morning Pat.

I personally would sell the rifle and buy another. 

But if you want a new barrel, I recommend a Krieger in a 1:11.5 twist.
George Toney

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

Pholsted

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Shooters101.com
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 09:17:02 pm »
Morning Pat.

I personally would sell the rifle and buy another. 

But if you want a new barrel, I recommend a Krieger in a 1:11.5 twist.

I may ultimately go down the path of just selling the rifle but I hate to pass this on to someone else. Thanks for the recommendation. I have not heard but good things about Krieger barrels.
Patrick Holsted The Pledge of Allegiance to the United States of America! By my 2 year Old

For all good things must come to an end! I just hope my son never sees the end of LIBERTY!

GOD BLESS AMERICA. I still have HOPE!

JMaster

• Everyone has fear, What you do with it defines you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 09:27:11 pm »
There are lots of good barrels out there. Brux, Rock Creek, Barlien, Kreiger, Shilien ect. The twist all depends on your favorite grain of pill. 175, 155s.
For 1000 yards you can shoot 155s, 175s and up. Do not try 168s. They will not stay stabil at that range.
Jimmy Hobby

anti-tyrant

• tyranny: abrogating our natural rights
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 02:41:39 pm »
Michael Handiboe

For Americans, tyranny is when the govt: takes away Citizens' privacy, confiscates Citizens' private property, favors non-Citizens over Citizens, selectively enforces the law, refuses to enforce integrity of elections, favors some Citizens over others.