Author Topic: Bylaws Changes  (Read 292 times)

LES

• 501-860-2593
    • View Profile
Bylaws Changes
« on: July 22, 2017, 08:41:02 am »
I just heard that the recent bylaws changes have all been canceled because they didn't pass with a 2/3 majority.  I admit that I didn't know this was a requirement, just ignorance on my part.  Or maybe just laziness--I didn't re-read the bylaws before the meeting as I should have done.  But assuming this is indeed true, then it raises some questions:

1.  Does this mean that all changes made in years past that didn't have a 2/3 majority are also negated?  Would that include all references to the air gun range, for example?

2.  I presume that any attempt to change the 2/3 majority rule to a simple majority would also require a 2/3 majority.  True?

3.  How did it happen that all club officers, who should be intimately familiar with the bylaws, didn't know this before the changes were voted upon?

I'm sure there are other questions too, but these are the first ones that come to mind.
Lloyd Sloan

Travelor

• View Profile
Re: Bylaws Changes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 07:20:24 am »
Lloyd's Question #1 is very interesting and I would also like to know the original bylaws vote count for the BB gun range.
George Toney

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

GTS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 08:30:27 am »
It is my understanding that the amendments to the bylaws have not been cancelled as Lloyd suggested. The vote count was merely reexamined to determine whether or not the vote met the 2/3 requirement for passage. All motions were looked at, some passed, some did not.

I think that this is the first time that I can recall that the 2/3 requirement was overlooked. I do remember Paul making sure he had a good count on members present in order to calculate the number required for passage. It was a simple oversight of the Board of Directors, which they have corrected.

Greg Sullivan
Greg Sullivan

1rleekin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 08:40:46 am »
Posting this so members who look at this thread will not have to go looking for what's in the bylaws concerning this discussion.  If it isn't supposed to be hear I'll ask a moderator to please remove it or PM me and I will be happy to remove it.

Bylaws:
XII. AMENDMENTS AND CHANGES TO RULES AND BYLAWS
A. These rules and bylaws may be changed by a two-thirds majority vote of the members present at a meeting called for the purpose of changing the Rules or Bylaws. Notices of the meeting will be sent to the membership for this event. All members will be given a copy of the Bylaws and Range Rules upon joining and again upon any effective changes.
B. Proposed changes to the Bylaws, Range Rules or Range Layout Maps should be written or typed with the section, sub-section, Range Rule(s), or Range Layout Map(s) clearly identified. Proposal should indicate whether the change is an addition, deletion or clarification. Changes may be presented at any time for consideration at the next Bylaws committee review.
C. A bylaws review (open to all members) will be done every odd year in the months of February, March, and April and a special bylaws change meeting scheduled afterwards if necessary. All members will be notified of any proposed changes prior to the special bylaws meeting.
D. A special bylaws change meeting can be called by the membership for a specific change at any regular club meeting if approved by a majority of the members present and provided all above subsections are in compliance. This meeting date and subject matter will be announced to all members in a special mailing by postcard. This meeting date not to exceed 2 months from first vote. Repeated requests in the same calendar year for change of same bylaw will not be allowed.

Rick
Rick Kinley

LES

• 501-860-2593
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 10:20:23 am »
It is my understanding that the amendments to the bylaws have not been cancelled as Lloyd suggested. The vote count was merely reexamined to determine whether or not the vote met the 2/3 requirement for passage. All motions were looked at, some passed, some did not.

I think that this is the first time that I can recall that the 2/3 requirement was overlooked. I do remember Paul making sure he had a good count on members present in order to calculate the number required for passage. It was a simple oversight of the Board of Directors, which they have corrected.

Greg Sullivan

Thanks for thhe response, Greg.  I certainly understand about overssights--I've damb sure had plenty myself!  I assume we'll soon be told which of the proposals met the 2/3 requirement and which didn't,
Lloyd Sloan

GTS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 03:51:34 pm »
Lloyd,

I assume that to be the case, although it may not occur until Sarah sends out the revised bylaws to all members.

Greg
Greg Sullivan