Author Topic: Hunting Feral Hogs in Arkansas at night  (Read 51 times)

Travelor

• View Profile
Hunting Feral Hogs in Arkansas at night
« on: February 04, 2019, 11:08:38 am »
This subject came up this weekend so I have done a little Research on this issue.

"Commissioner Freeze forwarded your email to me concerning night hunting feral hogs on private lands. Attached are the present Arkansas Statutes and AG&FC Regulations that pertain to feral hogs. I believe it would be in your best interest to review those attachments.

You have asked about shooting feral hogs at night in Arkansas on private property. Commission Regulation 18.02 - NIGHT HUNTING PROHIBITED strictly concerns the illegal taking of wildlife at night. The Commission does not recognize feral hogs as wildlife, except when they are on our WMAs and/or WDAs. You have also mentioned that depredation permits (Commission
    Regulation 18.09 - DEPREDATION PERMIT REQUIREMENT) are given to landowners for nuisance wildlife, but again it does not state that such be required for hunting feral hogs on private property.

As a wildlife officer in the field for many years I have dealt with a variety of situations concerning feral hogs. Most important to this whole scenario is that the local county wildlife officers be notified by the private landowner that he/she is having problems with feral hogs and are wanting to take measures to shoot them at night. Landowners with feral hogs rooting up their pastures, fields, or crop lands have real problems and need to eliminate that problem asap. But note it is the landowner's problem.
    Unless the landowner or a stated designee was involved in shooting the feral hogs on his/her private property at night, everybody else caught on that private property could be considered as night-hunting and under the right circumstances trespassing. All the elements necessary to sustain a night hunting charge actually exists when shooting at night with or without the aid of a light in areas where wildlife can frequent.

How do you legally take feral hogs off another man's private property at night? First of all the private landowner needs to make the local wildlife officer(s) aware that he/she has the problem. If the County's wildlife officers are aware of the damage (usually by visual observation), they are now aware that any shooting at night in that field or pasture may be related to the feral hog problem. The private landowner states who will be shooting the feral hogs. I can assure you it is not just whomever wants to drop by and take advantage of the opportunity. The officers know who can legitimately be on the private property shooting the feral hogs at night.
    This also benefits the landowner in that should an accidental shooting occur resulting in property damage or physical injury while hunting feral hogs, the personal liability for such actions can be more quickly determined.

By knowing who can shoot the feral hogs in the field or pasture the wildlife officers can more effectively deal with true night hunting complaints. This does not in anyway keep the landowner from resolving the problem. Rather it is a courtesy extended to the wildlife officers allowing them to understand the nature and location of the shooting at night. I can assure you that prosecutors and judges are more understanding when said business concerning taking feral hogs by shooting at night is understood on the front end of the matter rather than standing in front of the blue lights trying to explain the situation.

Colonel John E. Day
    Enforcement Chief
    Arkansas Game & Fish Commission
    (501) 223-6382"

A very good read on this subject is here https://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/FSA-9106.pdf
George Toney

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.